Following the discovery of vast quantities of gold in California and the subsequent gold rush, the Treasury Department created a new denomination called the double eagle. First minted for circulation in 1850, production of $20 pieces was continued through the year 1933.
Double eagles of the 1850-1907 years are of the Liberty Head type and are the work of James B. Longacre. The Liberty Head obverse design was continued during the 1877-1907 span of double eagle minting, as was the reverse with IN GOD WE TRUST above the eagle. However, the denomination, formerly expressed as TWENTY D., was changed to read TWENTY DOLLARS, thus creating a new type 3 double eagle design.
PCGS graded serial number 9046.64/34721074