Following the discovery of vast quantities of gold in California and the subsequent gold rush, the Treasury Department created a new denomination called the double eagle. First minted for circulation in 1850, production of $20 pieces was continued through the year 1933.
Double eagles of the 1850-1907 years are of the Liberty Head type and are the work of James B. Longacre. The Liberty Head obverse design was continued during the 1877-1907 span of double eagle minting, as was the reverse with IN GOD WE TRUST above the eagle.
PCGS graded serial number 8954.40/34721075